South African Style Hot Cross Buns
Cooking time less than 2 hours
- 1.49 pounds flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 grating nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5.5 tablespoons mixed peel
- 2 ounces seedless raisins
- 1.5 teaspoons yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 3.5 ounces soft butter
- 2 extra large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup organic flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 ml baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
Makes 16 buns
- Mix all the dry ingredients into a bowl. Stir through peel and raisins.
- Mix wet ingredients and yeast in a jug and whisk to combine.
- Make a well in the centre of dry ingredients and add milk mixture.
- Mix well to form a soft dough.
- Tip dough onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes or until soft and elastic. Set aside to rise until doubled in size.
- Knock dough back and divide into 16 small balls.
- Place balls on a greased baking tray slightly apart (about an inch).
- Set aside to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Mix flour, butter and baking powder with enough water to make a slightly runny paste.
- Spoon paste into a piping bag (or Ziploc bag with the tip snipped off).
- Pipe thin crosses onto buns.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Mix glaze ingredients together and brush hot buns with glaze.
- Leave in a switched off oven, that’s still warm, for 5 minutes to set glaze.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack.